A Senior Sales Engineer's Tale: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Introduction





        I'm a senior sales engineer with over 15 years of experience, and I've been working in the HVAC industry since 2008. I was also a team leader for 15 months, from October 2021 to January 2023, before getting promoted to my current position.

In this blog post, I'm going to share some of my experiences as a sales engineer, and give you some insights into what it's like to work in this field.

The Good

One of the best things about being a sales engineer is that I get to work on challenging and interesting projects. I've been involved in over 170 projects since I joined Trane Philippines - helping with designing and commissioning some of the most complex HVAC systems in the Philippines, and it's always rewarding to see a project come to fruition.

Another great thing about being a sales engineer is that I get to meet and work with a wide variety of people. I've had the opportunity to meet with clients from all walks of life, and I've learned a lot about different cultures and businesses.

As a team leader, I also enjoyed mentoring and coaching other sales engineers. It was gratifying to see them grow and develop their skills.

The Bad

Of course, no job is perfect, and being a sales engineer is no exception. One of the biggest challenges of this job is that it can be very demanding. I often have to work long hours, and I'm always under pressure to meet deadlines.

Another challenge of this job is that it can be very competitive. The HVAC industry is a multi-billion dollar industry, and there are a lot of different companies vying for the same business. This can make it difficult to close deals, and it can also be stressful to constantly be competing with other salespeople.

As a team leader, I also had to deal with the challenges of managing a team. This included setting goals, delegating tasks, and providing feedback.

The Ugly

Unfortunately, there is also an ugly side to being a sales engineer. Some of the worst experiences I've had in this job have involved dealing with dishonest or unethical clients. For example, I've had clients who have lied to me about their budget, or who have tried to change the terms of a deal after we've already signed a contract.

I've also had to deal with clients who are simply unreasonable or difficult to work with. For example, I've had clients who have made unreasonable demands, or who have refused to pay me for my services.

As a team leader, I also had to deal with the challenges of managing difficult team members. This included addressing performance issues and resolving conflict.

Conclusion

Despite the challenges, I still enjoy being a sales engineer. It's a rewarding job that allows me to use my skills and knowledge to make a difference in the world. I'm also grateful for the opportunity to work with so many different people and learn from their experiences.

Additional thoughts:

I would also like to add that being a sales engineer in the Philippines is especially challenging. The HVAC industry in the Philippines is still relatively young, and there is a lot of room for growth. However, this also means that there is a lot of competition, and the standards are not always as high as they could be.

Despite the challenges, I am optimistic about the future of the HVAC industry in the Philippines. I believe that the industry is growing, and that there will be more and more opportunities for sales engineers in the years to come.

If you are interested in a career as a sales engineer in the Philippines, I would encourage you to do your research and learn as much as you can about the industry. I would also recommend that you network with other sales engineers and learn from their experiences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do Chiller Plants and Chillers unload? - The practical guide

The AHRI Directory.... What is it for?

CHILLER Efficiencies - Why less is more? From "Habagat-II", Floods, dripping roofs, sweating walls...